Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Bouncing baby set from Homespun handknit

My friend was looking for a pair of booties that would stay on her great niece's feet. I ended up making The Easy Bootie pattern from Lion Brand. Following the pattern for an infant, on a K needle just fit a 1 year old. I made them a little longer and they did stay on. While searching for a pattern I ran across a picture of the Bouncing Baby Set from Homespun Handknit. An internet search found the book on Amazon and Ebay but I NEED IT NOW! Was able to borrow a copy at the local library, ALRIGHT. I don't know anyone with a baby under the age of 1 that it would fit but I HAVE to make it, just awesome. Jean Scorgie form Denver CO derived the cap from a Finnish one belonging to a friend. The knee socks are designed to stay on, they are shaped around the knee. Reminds me of something my Dad might have worn when he was an infant. The pattern calls for a 4 ply Cotten weight fingering yarn for the cap and a similar weight yarn in a Cotten-acrylic blend for the leggings. It's snowing here in PA today, a good day to fool around with this pattern. Only problem is the only yarn I have in that weight is an acrylic fingering yarn from Bernat. Feels like it might be hard to work with, we will see. The gage looks to be similar. I'm not too good with yarn weight and gages. This is exciting! LOL. There are a lot of great patterns in Homespun Handknit that are made on double point needles. Guess I'm going to have to learn how to knit on double point needles next.

No comments:

Post a Comment